We usually get a call when things change. Sadly this will happen after a loved one passes. Weeks after the loss, after the memorial service, it is time to settle the affairs of your departed loved one.
To help make this very difficult time easier, here are a few things to consider:
- Make sure you have the password to your loved one’s computer, email account, bank accounts, Facebook and other social media accounts.
- If you don’t have the password to the computer, we can very likely help you get around that.
- If you don’t have the password to email and social media accounts, often times the computer remembers it for you… for a while. Try to access these accounts within 2 weeks of the last time they were used.
- You can usually reset these passwords if you have access to the email account.
- Can’t access email on the computer? Try accessing it thru your loved one’s phone or tablet if they had one.
- Don’t run any clean up tools on the computer. You will erase any cookies and memory of credentials and passwords that may be useful.
- Facebook has given you the ability to decide how you want your account handled after your death. Click here https://www.facebook.com/help/103897939701143 for this information.
As with everything, documentation and instructions that are readily accessible will make a difficult job easier. We cannot stress the importance of timing as well. Accessing online accounts within two weeks will make a big difference if you don’t have all the necessary passwords and credentials.